HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!!!
Yes, I realize I turn 37 years young today. Yes, I realize that I should be taking the day off of my mommy-like duties and get a manicure, pedicure, facial, and massage.
But I’m spending the day at Animal Kingdom in Disney World with my sweet family. As if I don’t live in Animal Kingdom already.
Now don’t get me wrong on this…I am so very fortunate and blessed to be going. I know wonderful memories are being made right now as you read my words.
However, I’m fairly certain that this will not be my most relaxing birthday ever.
Of course, Susannah is excited that I will get to wear one of those buttons around Disney that says “It’s My Birthday!”
I didn’t quite share her enthusiasm on this one but I will don the button because well, I’m a martyr and I’ll do anything for my children.
I really love my thirties. I didn’t really love my twenties but the thirties? I freaking love them.
I’m still young enough to be considered fun but yet I’m not as, shall we say, STUPID as I once was during my twenties. Sure my chestal region is a bit saggier and I might have some crow’s feet around my eyes but for the most part, it seems that life just gets better the older I get.
Will I look back to this time ten years from now and say I’m not as stupid as I was then? Probably.
Nonetheless, I have learned a thing or two during my 37 years. In fact, I have learned 37 things, like:
37. My feet are always cold.
36. I love, love, love music. All kinds, except offensive lyrics.
35. The human spirit is incredibly resilient. I have been through some horrid lows and now find myself the happiest I have ever been.
34. I’m not convinced that dogs don’t have souls.
33. Mia, my beloved Siamese cat that died when I was in second grade, was not killed by the Vitamin B12 shot she was given by her veterinarian. My Meemo accidentally ran over her with the golf cart. Yep, found that one out in college.
32. Speaking of college, maybe you shouldn’t necessarily marry the person you partied with pretty much all the time.
31. Speaking of partying, I absolutely believe you can still profess to be a lover of Jesus and indulge in some wine and margaritas. Admittedly, I don’t do this as much as I once did because well, I can’t. The next day with young children is just too painful. But I don’t think I’ll be going to hell if I drink a little too much wine now and then…
30. Don’t. Judge. You have no idea what you would do.
29. On that note, people will absolutely judge YOU. Be prepared to pray for them and realize that this is between God and them not YOU and them.
28. It is possible to have another human being know you better than you know yourself. I am married to a man that is like this for me.
27. Children. Ah, children. Nothing brings your junk to the surface quicker than birthing your own offspring and nothing makes you love so intensely that it almost makes you feel a bit frightened. They have the capacity to make me raging mad and yet, I would die for each of them.
26. Be wary of those who talk about how much money they have. If they are talking about, they probably don’t have it and truthfully? I don’t care if they do or not.
25. I’m a night-owl. I always have been, probably always will be. I can’t help it. It’s time to just accept it.
24. As long as I have a child in diapers, there will always be a poo in the pants just as we are about to walk out the door and are often to late to wherever we are going.
23. I love a good pair of jammies.
22. I adore and enjoy my morning cup of coffee way more than I should.
21. I have one regret: I didn’t major in English in college and I didn’t go back right away to get my MFA in Creative Nonfiction.
20. And yes, I have also learned that it’s never too late.
19. His grace is sufficient for me.
18. I love the joy and excitement of having a little girl and I love the “noise with dirt on it” of a little boy. Admittedly, I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy having boys and now I’m so pleasantly surprised by how much I do.
17. But alas, boys and girls are so different. My daughter is calm, cool, collected, loves to create, has an off-the-charts imagination, is over-the-top verbal. My boys are hurricanes that roll through the house, that wrestle and push and shove because they are not as verbal, that are loud, and love things with wheels and swords. Girls need a mommy so desperately and boys love their mommy so intensely.
16. There is not a greater scent than the pages of a new book.
15. However, I can’t tell you how much I love my Nook. I think it might be the greatest invention in a long time and I was skeptical. This old-fashioned lover of words wasn’t too keen on the idea but now? I’m a convert and could do commercials.
14. The drugstore mascara is often just as good as the fancy kind.
13. There are some things that I won’t skimp on: good winter coats for all in my family, strollers, bras, toilet paper, Hannah Andersson clothing, Land’s End bathing suits, coffee, meat. Some things are just worth it.
12. Sometimes people can just be mean. It’s usually because they are hurting. Love them anyway.
11. If you find the right person and you grow together in your faith with a focus on God, your relationship will go deeper than you ever thought possible.
10. You will be able to have an entire conversation with your eyes.
9. Which will come in handy when your house is filled with children and no one can hear anything anyway.
8. It is absolutely wonderful to have girlfriends who believe the same things you do.
7. It is absolutely wonderful to have girlfriends who do not believe the same things you do.
6. It is absolutely wonderful to have girlfriends who are real, honest, who love you for who you are right at the moment, who will not judge you, and will love you regardless. Don’t ever put your girlfriends low on the totem pole. You need them.
5. Just last week I learned that it might be worth it to get a pedicure at a salon rather than the cheapy-chonga places I usually go. Ouch.
4. The Bible actually is absolutely applicable to today’s world. At one time, I didn’t think it was but since I have studied and learned more about it, wow. It’s absolutely applicable to the world in which we reside on so many levels.
3. I don’t get the vampire thing. I really don’t. And I tried.
2. Sometimes you just have to say, “I was wrong. Will you please forgive me?”
1. God absolutely had plans to prosper and not to harm. He worked for the good in all things and continues to do so. But the difference now is that I know He will because I’ve seen it and it makes the times when I think nothing good can come from something more understandable. Hope.
Thirty seven things is actually quite a bit to have to conjure. My 37 year old brain is tired and now I leave you to pal around with the Mouse. Or Buzz. Or Tigger.
May your Labor Day holiday be blessed and joyful!
love it! and i am so with you on almost everything. except….well, my list would only be 31 things, i can do without daily morning coffee but only because the nearest starbucks is 30 minutes away, i DID major in english in college but more literature instead of creative writing, and i did marry the guy i partied with in college….but fortunately, he’s also the guy who has since led our family to Christ so i got a little lucky on that one ;) happy birthday, girl! and have fun down here in my neck of the woods…..animal kingdom is actually more relaxing than the rest of disney, so enjoy :)
.-= Alison´s last blog ..boys vs girls =-.
Happy Birthday! What a great list to celebrate your birthday!
.-= Missie´s last blog ..Love Finds You book review =-.
Happy Birthday! ….I don’t get vampires either….but I haven’t really tried!!!
.-= Danielle´s last blog ..Fundraising Giveaway!!!! =-.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET FRIEND!!! Have a wonderful day. Animal Kingdom is actually a great place to be an your birthday (you’ll always remember it, at least!). Someday, you can celebrate it somewhere relaxing, someday…(and when that day comes, you’ll wish you were back at the Animal Kingdom with your little munchkins. :)
.-= Kim´s last blog ..Lunch Box Love Notes =-.
Happy Birthday Natalie! You share your birthday with 2 others who are very dear to my heart, my sister and my lifelong best friend. That ranks you right up there with the best of them in my book! I hope you are enjoying the chaos of Animal Kingdom and being on vacation with 3 young children. Relaxing…NO…but wonderful memories are so much better than relaxing.
I love your list. I can so relate to many of them, but today, more than ever, am relating your #17 – the creative, verbal, calm daughter and the tornado of a son we have renamed “CAPTAIN CHAOS!” The difference between boys and girls is so amazing.
Thank you again for your beautiful insight. I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Happy Birthday, Happy Vacation, and Happy Labor Day (look at you, no grill to clean up after…I salute you!)
#21 is mine, too.
I think I get the vampire thing, and I can’t stay far enough from it.
I don’t know about all dogs, but I know about mine.
My feet used to be cold all the time. I am 43 and they are now no longer cold all the time.
.-= Maggie S.´s last blog ..Wait I Got Your Wait- Right Here =-.
oh, my goodness dear bloggy friend.. I can’t believe how MUCH we have in common. seriously most of your numbered list could exactly be mine. I wish I would have known you a couple years , I could have used you in my corner! lol SO HAPPY , HAPPY DAY to YOU!! not everyone can say that they celebrate their birthday with an african safari -you must get your picture at the Tree of Life.. so fitting for today! happy birthday!
.-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..laundry day =-.
And…you are more fabulous than ever.
Drugstore mascara? I just can’t do it. It must be the wand or something. I stopped trying at my local Target. So, if you find one that is perfect and cheap you have to let us know!
37 looks great on you! I love that you are with your family. Have so much fun!
.-= Tracy´s last blog ..The Church Of Adventure =-.
hey, we share a birthday month :)
yes, it is wonderful to have girlfriends that share your beliefs. i consider you one of them. i hope you dont mind. happy birthday :)
.-= cheri´s last blog ..oh- to be free =-.
I identified with so many numbers on this list that I can’t even list them all. :-) I hope that you enjoy the Animal Kingdom. I had a wonderful time when I went.
.-= Tonya´s last blog ..International Burn a Koran Day =-.
Hi! I am just reading your message from January at MBC!!! I am a total slacker, but thanks for the message, and befriending me on MBC. I have moved my blog to a new URL and am starting a fresh Bloggy life I guess. I am going to add you to my blog roll and would love for you to visit me and follow along if you would like. My new URL is http://www.mylifedownhere.blogspot.com
Anyway, Happy belated birthday!!! I agree, the thirties are the best times of our lives!! I will be turning 35 tomorrow!!