I just don’t have it in me to do a “Face to Face Friday” today and am getting feedback that most of you prefer a written post with a vlog every now and then so that’s what I’ll do from here on out, friends. You speak, I listen.
Not to mention that I feel like things have been a little heavy around these parts lately and I certainly don’t want to be labeled a “Debbie Downer” so we are going light, light today…
About six weeks ago, Michelle from “Lost in the Prairies” (who is the host of Caffeinated Randomness today) tagged me in a note to answer seven things about me that not many people know.
A little slow on the draw, but here are eight things (because I’m not a good direction-follower) about yours truly:
1) I am compulsive and crazy when it comes to making my bed. If I haven’t made it (and the only way this might happen is if my husband gets up after me) and it’s time to get in bed for the night, I will MAKE the bed then get in. I know. It’s completely crazy. But there is a science behind the blankets and I don’t want them all bunched up and uneven when I sleep. Oy vey, even as I write this I’m aware that I’m sounding crazier and crazier…
2) I was a lover of running when I met my husband – in fact, I was training for my first marathon. I love running. It literally saved my life (see “Life Story” on top right corner) and I believe God took something I was very unlikely to think I would ever do and used it to draw me closer to Him. He has such a good sense of humor, no? I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2002 and I still say to this day it was one of the most challenging things I have ever done and so worth every minute of training. I’m starting to run again after a six year hiatus during which I was producing children and it is transformative yet again.
3) God has really recently been convicting me of watching what I feed my soul – in other words, monitoring what I am reading. I love me a good People magazine but as I surrendered “The Bachelor and The Bachelorette” series this season of my own free will, I sense People might be next. Now hear me on this: There is absolutely NO condemnation if you also love you some People. I’m just saying that I’m spending time reading it when I could be reading something a little more fulfilling to the soul. Plus, I have an e-reader and I much prefer to read books these days because it’s just too easy. Not to mention that I don’t really now anyone in People anymore because well…I’m 37 and Justin Bieber just doesn’t interest me.
4) Magazines I am reading these days? Weight Watchers. Healthy Taste of Home. Real Simple. Health. Yes, I’m changing my name to Gertrude.
5) Speaking of magazines, there is an eternal pile next to my bed at all times. I will pick it all up and feel oh- so-organized and within minutes, it’s back again. And yes, Virginia, that’s my current stack. Proof of #4. No, it wasn’t staged.
6) I am a HUGE bargain shopper when it comes to my clothing and will rarely pay full-price for anything. BUT. I will fork over however much is necessary for a correct-fitting bra (sorry all five of you male readers), a flattering pair of black pants, a well-made and versatile handbag, stylish BUT comfortable boots/shoes, and a great-fitting pair of jeans.
7) Speaking of what I put into my soul, you can pretty much always tempt me out of the house with the promise of a good bottle of wine. That’s not really a big secret but alas, it’s something I love…
8) I’m an absolute crazy reader. I know, another shocker. This isn’t a secret. But here are my “Top Five Favorite” books of all-time: The Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott, and The Girls From Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow.